Thursday, April 13, 2006
Ok, dangit. I'm SO tired of the complete non-existence of Miyavi translations out there. It's gotta stop. >> Unfortunately I've read enough of his lyrics in kanji and romaji to know why that is the case... the man is next to impossible to make sense of to most of us baka-gaijin. However, I am totally and utterly taken by his (sort of) new single, Senor Senora Senorita. I really think this one will go down in history, so to speak, right alongside good ol' Miyavi classics like Pop is Dead, Shinde mo Boogie Woogie, Jibun Kakumei, Girls Be Ambitious, and... nearly everything else he's released, really. It's fun and catchy and just impossibly unique, with its heavy Latin/salsa influence and Miyavi's own incomparable twists. The man is a marvel among dorks.

I couldn't help it. I HAD to try to translate this. The romaji was easy enough... now I suppose it's just a matter of making the English translation sound true to his lyrical style, which in this case is a cross between Miyavi and some cheesy seductive rumba-dancing Latino... *cracks knuckles*

Oh, I feel I should make a few things clear before I start. Firstly, in pretty much every instance of a Spanish or French or any non-Japanese language word in this song, in the written lyrics Miyavi actually writes the Japanese translation of the word and then adds a parenthetical note after it giving the kana spelling of the foreign word. The latter is always what appears in the sung version, so I'm not even going to bother including his Japanese translations and junk. It all means the same. >>

MIYAVI - SENOR SENORA SENORITA

Shall we dance?

1, 2, step... step by step
Nani o kakusou senorita, watashi koso ga ikichi mo shitataru ii otoko
Onozomi to araba hone no zui to made gojiman no kiba o meshiagare

Aa... tsuki ni terasare aojiroku hikaru kubisuji ni sotto chikai no kisu o
Demo naze darou, mune no oku dokoka konna ni mo itamu no wa...

"Kimi o aishite shimatta mitai nan da"

1, 2, step... step by step
Odorimasen ka bonita, te o tori koshi karamasete un deux trois
Kuchibiru furesou na kyori de fui ni sasayaku kotoba wa "te amore"

Aa... kono mune ni saita jounetsu no bara wa sono toge de kokoro shimetsukeru
Soshite boku wa kimi o omou tabi chi no namida o (nagasu n da.) [1]

Kanawanai koi naraba isso kowashite shimae, to
Negatte shimau no wa ikenai koto deshou ka?

Boku ga boku ja nakya donna ni yokattarou?
Kimi o kizutsukeru koto nado naku aiseru no ni...
1, 2, step... step by step
Toki no aizu de futari wa rendezvous, mata asa ga kite hanarebanare

Aa... aishita kimi ni sae chikazukenai boku wa aware na mosquito sa.
"Dakishimetai, dakishimerarenai..." no wa, kowashite shimaisou dakara

Kawariyuku kono karada, tatoe hikarabiyou to mo
Douka kono koi ga tsumi to natte shimau mae ni
Todokanai kisu naraba, minoranai love story naraba
Semete yume no naka, dakishimesasete okure

Omoeba omou hodo, chikazuite wa hanareteiku... tsuki to taiyou no you ni


[1] In the sung version this line just ends with "Chi no namida o..." But he actually finishes the sentence in the written lyrics.

In English (maybe T_T)...

Shall we dance?

1, 2, step... step by step
What is there to hide, senorita? I am the good man whose very lifeblood trickles down [1]
If you so desire, sink in your proud fangs to the bone [2]

Ah... in the pale light of the moon I softly kiss your nape in oath [3]
But why does it hurt so much somewhere in the depths of my heart...

"I guess I fell in love with you"

1, 2, step... step by step
Shall we dance, bonita? Take my hand and move your hips with mine - un, deux, trois
With our lips so close they almost touch, the suddenly whispered words are "Te amore"

Ah... the rose of passion that bloomed in my breast presses its thorns into my heart
And whenever I think of you, I shed tears of blood

If this love cannot be, might as well just destroy it
Is it wrong to feel that way?

If I were not me, would I be good enough?
Even though I could love you without ever hurting you...
1, 2, step... step by step
When the time comes we rendezvous, and when the dawn comes again we part

Ah... I'm just a pathetic mosquito that can't even get close to you, who I loved
"I want to hold you, I can't hold you..." because I'm afraid I might break you

Even if this ever-changing body completely dries up
No matter what, before this love becomes a sin
If my kiss never reaches you, if this love story can never be
Please, if only in my dreams, let me hold you close

The more I think of you, the closer we are the farther apart we become... like the moon and sun


...Argh.

[1] While he sings "ii otoko (good man)", the kanji here gives the word for "vampire." O_o Not sure where he got the correlation there... maybe he's trying to conceal being a vampire with an innocent "I'm a good guy *nodnod*" kinda thing?

[2] As in, her fangs are her pride. I guess. Also, I'm familiar with "meshiagare" - it's like "help yourself (to eat/drink something)" - but "kiba o meshiagare," structurally, sounds like it should be "eat your fangs." >_o I'm assuming there's another meaning there... something like "eat WITH your fangs," which is what I went with. *sigh*

[3] Not really a footnote... but I wanted to express my befuddlement over the fact that he spelled out "Aa" in the most ridiculously complicated way possible. With KANJI. It's a bloody sound effect with no actual meaning, exactly the same as our English "Ah," and he writes it in KANJI. WTF? Anyway...

And this is why people don't translate Miyavi's songs. =_= I'll probably never feel satisfied with this, but I had to try it... be warned, I will probably come back to this MANY times over the course of the future to make little changes...

(disclaimer: this song belongs to Miyavi, not me. I only take credit for the romaji and translation. I'm just a fangirl trying to make J-music a little more accessible to Americans. No copyright infringement is intended. Please don't sue me - I have 4 years' worth of college to pay off. T_T)

posted by Becky at 2:39 AM


Comments:
Thank you so much for this translation. Is wonderful!
 
I have been looking for this EVERYWHERE.

Thank you SO much, oh Miyavi fan ^__^

You're right on one point: this song will go down in history.
 
It's very interesting that you said "good man" and "vampire" because int he PV he's a vampire; but the person who translated and put the subtitles translated it as "good man".

I find it interesting. ^^; Thanks for the translations, I kinda actually like yours better.
 
Awesome! Thank you so much, I've been searching for a translation for quite a while; you deserve a medal for taking on such an arduous task!
 
Post a Comment
about me__++
name// Becky Cottrill
birthdate// 6.23.1982
location// Ohio, USA
interests// J-music, J-drama, Japanese language, visual kei, fluffy things...
upcoming// refer to Taiji Project!
I'm always finding Japanese songs that I adore, but can't find English translations for. So I've made a hobby of translating such songs, and this is where I put them. Can't find the song you want? Send me the lyrics (kanji if possible, but romaji will do) and I'll see what I can do. But no promises, as I'm not exactly the most fluent Japanese speaker around. Also, PLEASE don't display any of these lyrics elsewhere unless you credit me. Just my name and a link back here would be great. Thanks!