Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Sorry for putting off the fifth and final (for now) Suicide Ali translation for so long. There's just one word in it that throws me off, and I don't know why I haven't emailed them to ask about it yet. Too much other stuff cluttering my brain, I guess.

But now I'm going to go back to the opposite extreme and try something I haven't done in 2 or 3 years: Matsu Takako translations. I've been wanting to pick up on her lyrics again for a very long time now, and tonight some random stimulus finally poked me into the mindset to start. Specifically I turned on my shuffled playlist of nearly 2000 mp3s and her song A Piece of Life was the first to come up.

This was never one of my very favorite Matsu Takako songs, but I don't mean to sell it short - it's definitely one of her most beautiful and emotionally touching melodies. I do love it, it just never really stood out to me as much as some of her other songs. But I guess it touched me in the right spot today, so I decided it would be a good place to pick up with her translations again. So, enjoy.

MATSU TAKAKO - A PIECE OF LIFE

Dareka ga tsubuyaiteita kiseki wa okoru to
Meguriau koto sore ga subete no mahou ne

Mainichi me ga sameru to
Anata no egao ga kyou mo
Taenai you ni to inoru

Donna ni donna ni kisetsu ga kagirinaku megutte mo
Watashi wa watashi wa anata dake o aishitsuzukeru deshou

Kizutsuketeta jibun o kirai ni nattari
Iitai koto ga mune ni afureta mama dattari

Kotoba ja wakariaezu
Omoi ja mitomerarezu
Miugokitorenaku natte mo

Tsutaete tsutaete kokoro o taisetsu na ano hito ni
Shinjite shinjite anata no koto o hitsuyou na hito ga iru

Donna ni donna ni kisetsu ga kagirinaku megutte mo
Watashi wa watashi wa anata dake o aishitsuzukeru deshou


In English:

When a miracle whispered by someone comes to pass
And we find each other, that is the magic of it all, isn't it?

Every day when I wake up
I pray that your smile
Will survive again today

However, however the seasons may forever turn
I know, I know that I will always love you

Sometimes I hate myself for hurting you
Sometimes the words I couldn't say still flood my heart

Even if you don't understand it in words
Even if you don't recognize it as a feeling
Even if you're not moved at all [1]

I will, I will pour out my heart to the one who means so much to me
I will believe, I will believe in you - I need you [2]

However, however the seasons may forever turn
I know, I know that I will always love you


Now I remember why I took a break from translating her songs... she has a way with words that makes them difficult to put into suitable English equivalents... not to mention they tend to hit pretty close to home with me... Anyway, a couple notes.

[1] She used a form of a fairly complicated verb here - miugokitoreru - and I understand all the different components in there (it has 5 or 6, literally) except, like, one. So I basically just skipped that one, and hope it wasn't one that would've changed the entire meaning of the word. >>; Also, the translation I settled on was based upon the decision that "you" was the intended pronoun of this verse. "You" or "I" wasn't actually specified, but the former made more sense.

[2] This whole line was put together sort of oddly. The last part especially - "hitsuyou na hito ga iru" literally means "there is someone that I need." But previously in the line she specifically says "you," so I only assume they're the same person... just not sure why she suddenly switched pronouns.

So there we go... and I would say there's a high likelihood of more Matsu Takako appearing here in the very near future, so look forward to it. Or dread it, if she's not your cup of tea. Whatever.

(disclaimer: this song belongs to Matsu Takako, not me. Romanization is by Cori (though I edited it in places) and was found at Cori's Jpop Lyrics Homepage. I only take credit for the translation. I'm just a fangirl trying to make J-music a little more accessible to Americans. No copyright infringement is intended. Please don't sue me - I have 4 years' worth of college to pay off. T_T)

posted by Becky at 2:21 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
about me__++
name// Becky Cottrill
birthdate// 6.23.1982
location// Ohio, USA
interests// J-music, J-drama, Japanese language, visual kei, fluffy things...
upcoming// refer to Taiji Project!
I'm always finding Japanese songs that I adore, but can't find English translations for. So I've made a hobby of translating such songs, and this is where I put them. Can't find the song you want? Send me the lyrics (kanji if possible, but romaji will do) and I'll see what I can do. But no promises, as I'm not exactly the most fluent Japanese speaker around. Also, PLEASE don't display any of these lyrics elsewhere unless you credit me. Just my name and a link back here would be great. Thanks!