Monday, October 31, 2005
The translations blog has a purpose again! *pose*

So... a few months ago I was introduced to a brand new indie J-rock band called Suicide Ali. This happens to be the band that former BLOOD support guitarist, Yuu, went on to join this past summer. And they are... VERY intriguing. And VERY talented. And listening to the 5 songs they have uploaded on their official homepage, they do NOT sound like a band that had just come together mere months ago. They sound like they've been around for years... and yeah... did I mention I'm into this band?

Anyway, as I said, they have 5 songs recorded and available for download on their homepage... and they also have lyrics up for all of them. So of course, I pounced all over the opportunity to translate them. >> A couple of them are probably gonna take a little more time... but one, at least, I'm finally ready to reveal.

So here we have my first of 5 Suicide Ali translations - Ai Subeki Shikeidai. And if you think this one's a little... depressing, or even disturbing... just wait till I get to Favorite Song. Can we say clone of Collector? >.o But anyway... for starters, let me say "shikeidai" is an interesting word. It can represent any machine or structure used to enforce capital punishment, though I've even seen it translated as "death sentence" or "death row." But in this song, since the narrator is talking about being hanged, it refers to a hanging gallows. And I don't know any other name for a hanging gallows, so I apologize if that sounds awkward here. >>

SUICIDE ALI - AI SUBEKI SHIKEIDAI (BELOVED GALLOWS)

Ai Subeki Shikeidai

Oh shikeidai yo kono kurai kimochi mo tsuresatte
Yuugae ni muhannou na boku no kokoro o sarashite
Miru mo mudan ni burasagatta
Jibun no shitai o souzou shiteiru
Dare ni mo uketomerarezu michibikezu
Tada tada me o fusaideiru

Riyuu naki bokura no tamashii wa
Imada kanashimi o samayou

Furuki hi no recorder o mimi ni oshitsukete
Nani mo shiranai boku o urayanda

Riyuu naki bokura no tamashii wa
Nanika o motomete

What are you thinking about in this world?
Are you thinking about a future?
What do you want to be?
Where do you want to go?
fucker!!

Riyuu naki bokura no tamashii wa
Imada monouge o yuku
Riyuu naki bokura no tamashii no
Fukai kanashimi o wakatte....

Koko ni aru kimochi sae shirazu
Ienai nageki ni oboreteru
Hitori de naita yoru kazoete
Nanika o kowasu mae ni dare ka daite


In English:

Oh gallows, take away my misery
Expose my heart as my stilled body glows in the sunset
I am cruelly hanged
Envisioning my own corpse
Caught by no one, led nowhere
Only... only... closing my eyes

Our meaningless souls
Still wander in sorrow

The sound of an ancient recorder is forced into my ears
They envied me, though I knew nothing [1]

Our meaningless souls
Are searching for something

What are you thinking about in this world?
Are you thinking about a future?
What do you want to be?
Where do you want to go?
fucker!!

Our meaningless souls
Are still sad [2]
Our meaningless souls' deep sorrow
Now becomes clear....

Knowing nothing but what I feel right now
I'm drowning in unspeakable agony
Counting how many nights I cried alone
Before I destroy something, let me embrace someone


Footnotes...

[1] I'm not sure exactly who he's saying envied him. Doesn't make sense for it to be the recorder. >> So I kinda took an educated guess.

[2] This line drove me insane. I could not find a meaning for the word "monouge" anywhere, and I only found one or two translations of other songs that contained it, and they didn't really help. I don't see how a word containing two kanji meaning simply "thing (inanimate)" and "receive" could have anything to do with sadness, but that's what I got out of the hours and hours I spent trying to figure out that word. Blah.

Anyway, there you have it. Hopefully I can get the rest of Suicide Ali's songs up here before too long...

(disclaimer: this song belongs to Suicide Ali, not me. I only take credit for the romanization and translation. I'm just a fangirl trying to make J-music a little more accessible to Americans. No copyright infringement is intended. Please don't sue me - I have 4 years' worth of college to pay off. T_T)

posted by Becky at 1:30 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
about me__++
name// Becky Cottrill
birthdate// 6.23.1982
location// Ohio, USA
interests// J-music, J-drama, Japanese language, visual kei, fluffy things...
upcoming// refer to Taiji Project!
I'm always finding Japanese songs that I adore, but can't find English translations for. So I've made a hobby of translating such songs, and this is where I put them. Can't find the song you want? Send me the lyrics (kanji if possible, but romaji will do) and I'll see what I can do. But no promises, as I'm not exactly the most fluent Japanese speaker around. Also, PLEASE don't display any of these lyrics elsewhere unless you credit me. Just my name and a link back here would be great. Thanks!