Saturday, June 04, 2005
Ok, I'm cheating. Recently I became infatuated with Emergence of Silence by Schwarz Stein... but it's already been translated. However, the one translation I found was... well, not great. Some kanji were translated too literally or just plain wrong, chopping up the hauntingly erotic flow of the song... and in some places entire lines were left out. >_o

Sooooo I couldn't resist attempting my own translation of this beauty. It may not necessarily be that much more correct than the original, but if you'll pardon my snoot, I do think it's better. >> So enjoy... and do check this song out! Catch me on one of my IM programs and I'll gladly send it to you... or any other song to be found in this blog, for that matter. Except the BLOOD ones. You have to buy those. >> <<

Anyway, here we go.

SCHWARZ STEIN - EMERGENCE OF SILENCE

Koboreochiru yoru no shizuku o namete
Shizuka ni kuruidasu nibiiro no haguruma
Tsume no saki made biyaku o hitashi [1]
Jama na yubiwa o karameotoshite
Ima hisoyaka ni fukashihajimeru
Barairo ni fuchidotta haitoku

Fukaku yoru e ochiteyuku no
Shita o tokashite
Nijimu shikai "kanashii kyori" o
Tsuki ga terashita

Maru de yume kara mezameru you ni
Totsuzen ni mitsugetsu wa owari
Moroi chikai o yakitsukushinagara
Yuruyaka ni aketeyuku yoiyami

Fukaku yoru e ochiteyuku no
Shita o tokashite
Nijimu shikai "kanashii kyori" o
Tsuki ga terashita

Toki o kizamu hari o tomete
Zutto kono mama
Nureta hada ni
Awai kaori dake ga nokotta


[1] While the kanji "ato" is written in the lyrics, the vocalist sings "saki." The two words can have the same meaning... but I don't think the "ato" used in the kanji carries the intended meaning of the sung "saki." Not sure. O_o But anyway, yeah.

In English:

Taste the overflowing drops of the night
Silently, a dark grey gear begins to madly spin
Soaked to the fingernails in an aphrodisiac
Imprisoning the ring that stands in the way
Now, rose-tinted immorality secretly begins to hatch

Falling deeply into the night
Dissolving the tongue [1]
Through blurred vision, the moon shone on this "sad distance"

Like awakening from a dream
Suddenly the honeymoon ends
While burning away the fragile vows
Gently the dusk gives way to dawn [2]

Falling deeply into the night
Dissolving the tongue
Through blurred vision, the moon shone on this "sad distance"

Stop the needles that keep the pace of time [3]
Just like this, forever
On dampened skin
Only a faint scent was left behind


Good stuff, no? o.o

A general note first... it was hard, but I resisted using any pronouns (I, you, my, your, our, their, etc) in this one. The Japanese lyrics are very vague in that way... there is no indication anywhere as to who is telling this story or what role or POV they have in it. Everything might refer to the narrator, the lover, both, or even an entirely different couple (kinda like Gekka no Yasoukyoku by Malice Mizer, where the narrator is watching over a couple sharing their last night together). So since the original lyrics didn't differentiate, I didn't either. You can fill in the blanks yourself.

Anyway, other footnotes...

[1] Yes, that's what it says. Dissolve the tongue. >.x Whose tongue and how, I am not sure...

[2] The wording here confused me a little. The noun used is clearly dusk/twilight, but the verb it's coupled with means to open, dawn, or break (as in "the day breaks"). So this miiiiight be a weird way to say that dusk is just setting in - or twilight is dawning? O_o But I assumed that since the song seemed to take place in the nighttime up to this verse, it was probably about time for morning to roll around... ^^;; so yeah.

[3] As in the needles of a clock. Probably obvious, but I thought I'd clarify anyway.

...My, but I love this song. *_*

(disclaimer: this song belongs to the no-longer-existing Schwarz Stein, not me. I only take credit for the romanization and translation, which are actually just improved versions of those found at New Vogue Child. I'm just a fangirl trying to make J-music a little more accessible to Americans. No copyright infringement is intended. Please don't sue me - I'm not a student anymore, but I'm still poor. T_T)

posted by Becky at 1:03 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
about me__++
name// Becky Cottrill
birthdate// 6.23.1982
location// Ohio, USA
interests// J-music, J-drama, Japanese language, visual kei, fluffy things...
upcoming// refer to Taiji Project!
I'm always finding Japanese songs that I adore, but can't find English translations for. So I've made a hobby of translating such songs, and this is where I put them. Can't find the song you want? Send me the lyrics (kanji if possible, but romaji will do) and I'll see what I can do. But no promises, as I'm not exactly the most fluent Japanese speaker around. Also, PLEASE don't display any of these lyrics elsewhere unless you credit me. Just my name and a link back here would be great. Thanks!