Friday, October 01, 2004
*Edited November 16*

With the arrival at my doorstep of BLOOD's newest single, The Funeral for Humanity, comes a new romanization and translation by me. ^__^ Have to say, this song fits BLOOD's latest image pretty darn well... for the most part it's hard and driving (just as Fu-ki likes 'em :P), but there's also a definite gothic feel in the instrumentation, and we even get stormy sound effects (I love the thunder crash at the end). Much like Dir en Grey's "Macabre" era or Malice Mizer's "Gardenia" phase, I can see the current BLOOD songs, imagery, and costumes going down in the band's history as the "Funeral for Humanity" era. The Funeral for Humanity just defines all that BLOOD is right now.

So here are the lyrics~

BLOOD - THE FUNERAL FOR HUMANITY

Yurusarenai hazu no umiotosareta kaibutsu

Hisokanaru gishiki wa kyouki to iu na no moto konya
Sashidasu kami no te o furiharai maimodotta

"DEATH" to "BORN"

Anata ga tsukutta kono karada [1]
Sonzai riyuu wa kurenakatta
Mou ichido toki o modosetara
Ano hi no mama towa ni nemurasete... [2]

Umiotosareta kaibutsu...

"DEATH" to "BORN"

Anata ga tsukutta kono karada
Sonzai riyuu wa kurenakatta
Mou ichido toki o modosetara
Ano hi no mama towa ni nemurasete...


[1] Fu-ki sings "karada" instead of the written kanji, "nikutai." I think this is actually a pretty common replacement in lyrics, from what I've seen, but... eh. Both mean body, but "nikutai" has more of a sense of 'the flesh' (indicated by the "niku" part, which means meat or flesh).

[2] Another common replacement (in BLOOD songs especially) - "eien" is written in the lyrics, but Fu-ki sings "towa" instead. Both mean eternity, basically.

In English:

Unforgivable, this monster that has been born

Tonight, a secret ritual is born of madness
Brushing off the hand of God that reached for me, I returned

"DEATH" to "BORN"

This body that you created
Was not given a reason to live [1]
If I can return to that time once more
Let me sleep for eternity, as I was then...

This monster that has been born...

"DEATH" to "BORN"

This body that you created
Was not given a reason to live
If I can return to that time once more
Let me sleep for eternity, as I was then...

Well, the classic vampire-esque poetry of the Japanese in this song did NOT want to carry over into English. But I tried, as usual. Hopefully I'll come back to it later and find ways to make it better, like I usually do... anyway, footnote...

[1] If I didn't care about the original structure of the song, I would have reorganized these two lines into something more like "you didn't give this body you've created a reason to live." But that would be hard to separate into two lines as it is in Japanese, and I didn't want to change the original feel any more than I had to. Also, that word "tsukutta" just about drove me nuts. Sore mo kogo, Kiwamu-san? >_>;;

(disclaimer: this song belongs to BLOOD, not me. I only take credit for the romanization and translation. I'm just a fangirl trying to make J-music a little more accessible to Americans. No copyright infringement is intended. Please don't sue me - I'm not a student anymore, but I'm still poor. T_T)

posted by Becky at 2:32 PM


Comments: Post a Comment
about me__++
name// Becky Cottrill
birthdate// 6.23.1982
location// Ohio, USA
interests// J-music, J-drama, Japanese language, visual kei, fluffy things...
upcoming// refer to Taiji Project!
I'm always finding Japanese songs that I adore, but can't find English translations for. So I've made a hobby of translating such songs, and this is where I put them. Can't find the song you want? Send me the lyrics (kanji if possible, but romaji will do) and I'll see what I can do. But no promises, as I'm not exactly the most fluent Japanese speaker around. Also, PLEASE don't display any of these lyrics elsewhere unless you credit me. Just my name and a link back here would be great. Thanks!