Thursday, July 01, 2004
I'm bad. I need to be working on finishing my BLIND and Tsuioku ~I Remember You~ translations, I need to translate the newly posted members' corners at BLOOD's site, I need to translate a very long email, I need to fill out thank you cards from my graduation and accompanying party...

...but instead I'm going to try my hand at translating Mitsu, the brief poem included in the regular edition of the BLIND single. The one thing on my list of things to do that's the least urgent. :P But I'm dying to see what Fu-ki's saying in it. Already, though, I can tell that it's pretty similar to the story told in the BLINDlyrics, with maybe some of the new Morphine [Trans Mix] thrown in too... which is cool with me, because I love both those songs. ^^

So, let's see how it goes. Romaji first, then English, as always.

MITSU

Katsute yasuragi o ataeta sono "mitsu" wa
Ima karamitsuku kage to nari
Kimi no kioku sae mo kiete iku
Otozureta kuuhaku no naka de...


In English:

That "nectar" which once gave me peace [1]
Now becomes the shadow that coils around me
Even my memories of you disappear
Within the visiting empty void...


I was right, it's BLIND in a convenient travel size. ^.^ I only had one problem with it...

[1] The word "mitsu" can be translated in a few different ways; among these are honey, nectar, and syrup. Another that I found is treacle, which can be 1) a medical syrup used to treat poisons, 2) a type of molasses-based syrup, or 3) anything that's heavily sweet (such as a voice). So basically, "mitsu" refers to any sweet, thick, syrupy substance. I have no idea how Fu-ki intended for it to be translated, nor do I know why he decided to put it in quotations. It's probably supposed to be an analogy for... someone's love, maybe. Something that gave him peace at one time, but that is now engulfing him, blinding him.

I should just leave the "mitsu" part in romaji in my translation. Because the imagery is there - thick, sweet syrup that once nourished but now ensnares - but capturing it in just one word, like honey or nectar, just doesn't work. T_T

Anyway... now I love this little poem. And I seem to recall that the European version of the BLIND single contains a poem called Mitsu as well, but with different words. I can't wait to get it~

(disclaimer: this poem belongs to BLOOD (specifically Fu-ki), not me. I only claim credit for the romanization and translation. Insert rest of standard disclaimer here. >.>)

posted by Becky at 9:36 AM


Comments: Post a Comment
about me__++
name// Becky Cottrill
birthdate// 6.23.1982
location// Ohio, USA
interests// J-music, J-drama, Japanese language, visual kei, fluffy things...
upcoming// refer to Taiji Project!
I'm always finding Japanese songs that I adore, but can't find English translations for. So I've made a hobby of translating such songs, and this is where I put them. Can't find the song you want? Send me the lyrics (kanji if possible, but romaji will do) and I'll see what I can do. But no promises, as I'm not exactly the most fluent Japanese speaker around. Also, PLEASE don't display any of these lyrics elsewhere unless you credit me. Just my name and a link back here would be great. Thanks!